Saturday, January 1, 2011

A Look Back

Today as I watch the Rose Parade, College Football, put a puzzle together with my kids and reflect on the beginning of another year, I want to celebrate some of the highlights from 2010.  While it has been a difficult year in many ways there is much to appreciate as well.

Family Highlights:




The year began with our annual mission to Mexico.  This year we were able to build two homes for migrant families outside of Ensenada.  The best part for me was when the family we built a home for the year before decided to help us complete one of the homes we were working on.  Seeing them pay it forward was especially rewarding for me.  I love that this is a tradition that my family participates in every year.  My kids look forward to it as much as Mimi and I do.



One of the most amazing things I experienced this year was our trip to the Grand Canyon.  When I was eight years old, my family was supposed to go the Grand Canyon, but something came up and we never made the trip.  With the kids out of school for Spring Break, we decided to make the trek to Arizona to see this amazing Wonder of the Natural World.  Nothing could prepare me for the beauty and majesty that I experienced as I first laid eyes on the Canyon.  Though the temperatures were in the 20s and 30s we enjoyed the natural beauty, wildlife and family and friends that marked this adventure.  I look forward to returning with friends to actually hike the canyon.

Other highlights include our vacation in San Diego where we were able to experience the Zoo and Sea World. We also enjoyed wine tasting in Temecula and the beautiful grounds at the Lawrence Welk Resort.  Beach trips are always an important part of our family tradition.  This year was no different.  El Capitan in Santa Barbara with the Backers and multiple trips to Capinteria were especially memorable.  Our small group also spent a great weekend at Caprinteria that enabled us to go deeper relationally.  One other thing that I would be remiss for not mentioning the artwork by my daughter Natalie.  Not only did she place second in the SCV Street Art Festival for art on canvas, she won the people's choice award.  She and Mimi have started a little business selling artwork on kids clothing, greeting cards and prints.  It's exciting to see her blossoming as a young artist.

Personal Highlights:
After almost two decades of being out of school, I decided to pursue my masters degree.  I'm now attending George Fox Evangelical Seminary in Portland and loving it.  I'm studying for a Masters of Divinity in a hybrid environment which incorporates both online and traditional instruction.  I've made two trips to Portland this Fall: one in August to get to know the other 20 members of my cohort and one in October for a week of class.  Another aspect of the program that I especially appreciate is the integrated approach.  Each semester includes a Bible or Theology Class, a Missional Leadership Class, Spiritual Formation, and an Internship or integration class.  While the instructors are fantastic, I actually believe the strongest aspect of this program is the feedback and challenge from my peers.  This was an unexpected but welcome addition to my education.

I played on our church softball team and enjoyed the sport as well as getting to know so many of the guys on a different level.  We concluded our Fall season with a big loss in the Championship Game.  It was a great season and we were simply overmatched in the title game.   We'll get back at it in Summer.

For the second Fall in a row our church has experienced financial difficulties.  We are in a new building and while attendance has grown from our strip mall days, the finances have struggled to keep up with our new expenses.  This has led to two of our pastors going back to work in the marketplace while remaining on staff.  I have also picked up a second source of income by working for a small Christian film company coordinating shoots.  While it has been a great experience and has even allowed me to travel to Memphis, it has been a taxing season on me personally.  The second job is scheduled to conclude at the end of January and it will be a welcome respite from the current craziness.

Things to Look Forward to in 2011:
Next week we'll be making our 13th annual home building trip to Ensenada, Mexico.  It's a highlight of every year for us as a family.  Mimi and I will celebrate our 15th Wedding Anniversary this April.  We'll see the U2 concert at Angel Stadium in June.  There will be vacations and other trips that are not set in stone as of yet, but will no doubt add color and flavor to our year ahead. Stay tuned.

Bob Hudson
1/1/11

2 comments:

  1. Bob, I like your blog! I too have really appreciated the learning that goes on between our cohort through our posts. Your family trips to Mexico are an inspiring tradition. May the Lord bless you and your family in the coming year. Sue Honan

    ReplyDelete
  2. David and I went to the Grand Canyon for the first time in our lives this past summer. I got tears in my eyes the first time I saw it. Very moving and inspirational.

    Kelly Selva

    ReplyDelete